You may have the best hunting bow or rifle, checking out the change in weather, a tree stand in the right spot and all important – but the best way to attract deer is to provide them with nutrition throughout the season.
Here is a brief comparison table of the top deer feeds (article continues below):
Deer Feeds Comparison table
Tecomate Perennial Monster Mix
Click here for price!
|5 out of 5 Stars
Click here to read from 1 customer review!
Evolved Habitats Deer Cane Apple UV Food
Click here for price!
|3.8 out of 5 Stars
Click here to read from 21 customer reviews!
BioLogic Non-Typical Clover
Click here for price!
|3.6 out of 5 Stars
Click here to read from 4 customer reviews!
Evolved Habitats Deer Cane Black Magic
Click here for price!
|3.4 out of 5 Stars
Click here to read from 35 customer reviews!
The C’mere Deer Promised Land Hunting Kit
Click here for price!
Click here to read from customer reviews!
For The Serious Hunter – Our Best Deer Feed Reviews
With us, you can find different deer feed reviews made for the serious hunter. These foods attract many deer and manufacturers promise to bring in the big buck. Different customers have bought these products and each one has their own story to tell from positive remarks to the not so positive ones.
Look for yourself and decide which of these deer feeds are suitable for your needs when the time comes to hunt.
Deer Cane Black Magic is only one of Evolved collections and one of their hottest products. This mix is a formulation of minerals and flavors that attract deer and there is no need of mixing it. All you need to do is place it on the ground and wait for the black magic to do its work as it releases the vapors to lure the deer to you. Deer Cane is rich in Phosphorus, Sodium, and Calcium.
You can buy the food in a bag of 4.2 pounds and use it to refresh a site once a year and as deer love moisture to make sure to wet the ground when visiting on a regular basis to make sure they keep coming back. The product works for Blacktail deer and Roosevelt Elk. In addition, it’s affordably priced.
- Deer Cane Black Magic is one of the best deer food that requires no mixing and a premium formulation,
- With the proper moisture, the minerals in the products keep attracting deer,
- It attracts bucks and helps with their development, and
- It is enriched with Sodium, Calcium, and Phosphorus,
Many customers have used this great product for years to attract deer to a certain spot on their property. Always remember to refresh the spot with a new bag of this feed at least once a year. Make sure the ground stays moist or that there is at least standing water.
Pros: Affordable to buy, in a block form, attracts different types of deer including elk
Deer hunters discovered the formulation of the C’mere Deer Promised Land Hunting Kit. Using this product brings the deer and keeps them coming back for more. You receive included in the kit one gallon of Buck Juice, a 5 LBS bag of Sweet Spot and 24 oz. of Corn Coat.
You can use it to apply to the food plot, feeder, or game camera site. The buck juice made up from a bean, berry, and plant root. Applying it to vegetation or on the ground as a standalone will attract deer for miles. The Corn Coat consists of C’mere supercharge F5 blend of different botanicals making corn, pellets, or any other grain more attractive. Furthermore, the Sweet Spot has a powerful scent attracting deer.
This is a great package sold at an affordable price compared to other items sold separately.
- You receive included the Buck Juice, Sweet Spot, and Corn Coat,
- The Buck Juice is a one-gallon bottle with plant root, berry extracts, and beans to draw deer,
- The Corn Coat is available in a 24 oz holder and supercharged with F5 and great to make deer food more attractive to eat, and
- The Sweet Spot has a sweet smell blend of pellets and powder with F5
Although there are, no reviews available on the kit there are individual reviews on the three products to read.
Pros: For an affordable price, you receive three products to make your hunting trip worth the while and a powerful combo pack.
Cons: There are very few deer feed reviews available on this product, and when you do find feedback, clients are pleased with the kit.
If you want to own your own food plot, the Tecomate Perennial Monster Mix is one of the best foods for deer. With this mix, you improve the wildlife population on your habitat and increase your hunting. This food attracts game during the fall and helps with all year round nutrition.
The foods easily digested and have a high-protein level of white clover and chicory. With the chicory in the mixture, it provides deer with tannin and a great benefit for rumen of elk and deer. Not only does it have a mixture of white clover in it there is a mixture of red clover as well.
When planted this mixture withstands the heavy browsing pressure of deer and gives antler-building protein levels a boost of 30%. This recurrent mix lasts up to 5-years if taken care of. The benefit of buying this product is that the seed has a coating of moisture-retaining Zeba, leading to a quicker and healthier food plot.
It is ideal to use in zones 1, 2, and 3. The manufacturer recommends you plant the seed in a sunny location. Make sure to disk the ground and keep it clean, leveled and plant in a firm seedbed. The rate of the seed is 200 to 300 pounds per acre and required no pre-inoculation.
Make sure not to plant the seed too deep and requires no disking after sowing. For the weeds, make sure to use grass selective herbicides.
- This is one of the best deer feed for food plots all year round,
- Great for hunting purposes,
- Has a high protein level with other important nutrients deer needs,
- Recurrent up to 5-years if taken care of,
- Different animals love this food, even turkeys,
- Is a mixture of red clover, chicory, and white clover,
- Great to plant in zones 1, 2 and 3 from spring to fall,
- Has a seeding rate of 8 LBS/acre,
- The planting depth is ⅛ to ¼ -inch,
- Use a high phosphorous fertilizer and 8 LBS covers one acre,
- 4 ½ LBS covers ½ acre,
Pros: Can be bought in two different pack sizes, affordable, requires no pre-inoculation, and even turkeys love it
Cons: Complaints that the seed does not come up recurrent as advised on the package, however, one must remember to maintain your feed plot every year.
Evolved Habitats Deer Cane Apple UV Food is an attractant with a concentrated mix of supplements. It releases a mineral vapor trail and once placed on the ground the moisture causes the minerals to attract deer to your spot.
Once a buck starts, eating from the food it will protect the area by scraping, rolling, and rubbing the spot in the mineral site and mark his territory. This leads to attracting other deer and with time, you have a wallow of deer.
- The Deer Cane Apple food attractor is very beneficial as it has many minerals in it,
- Any buck seeking minerals to keep their body healthy is attracted to the block and eventually draws other deer, and
- You can buy it in a bag of 5 LBS
Pros: Used in combination with deer corn it works wonders, excellent product, affordable
Cons: Minor complaint about the deer not using it as mentioned best used with other foods
Always Be Mindful Of The Deer Natural Habitat
- When you have feed plots or feeders always be mindful about the deer’s natural habitat,
- Always be wary of the over harvesting of young and middle-aged bucks – a mature buck should embody at least 30% of the entire population and if you have overcrowding it can reduce the antler size of the herd,
- Have a committed feeding plan for long-term success as you can only see bigger racks after 3 years of feeding. The typical buck size reaches 7 years after it starts on a feeding program,
- One of the perfect solutions is to include a food plot with the best food for deer grown in it. These food plots give deer all the natural boost they need and create a restorative habitat on your property,
However, if you are one of those who prefer not to plant your feed plots from a seed in the bag you can always visit one of the Mossy Oak Native Nurseries. They are leaders in the food plot development and provide you with the best whitetail nutrition.
They are dedicated to giving you the most naturally favorable plants for your property. They hand grow their plants and each plant receives special attention. You can also buy their famous Biologic Non-typical clover.
You know that clovers one of the best deer foods to plant in your food plot and a powerful attraction to wild turkey and whitetails. Biologic Non-typical clover is one of the easiest seeds to grow packed with nutrition and Mossy Oak has tested it extensively with great results.
It has all the nutrition deer needs and a long lasting lifespan making it durable and attractive to wild game. It has a stolon growth with a heavy forage output. You can see it recurring from 3 – 5-years if taken care of properly by fertilizing and moving. Keep the weeds under control and make sure you have the ground tested. It is cold tolerant with a large leaf.
- You can buy the Biologic Non-typical clover in packs of 2 and 8-pound,
- It is a fast established plant with a large leaf and white clover flower,
- It can tolerate cold and deer love it,
- Recurrent from 3 to 5-years,
- The seeding rates 9 pounds per acre, and
- Even tolerates heat when watered as required,
To keep the weeds away and make sure your clovers growing well use Weed Reaper Grass Control Herbicide. On the other hand, if you are not sure when to plant the different deer foods view the wonderful timetable available here!
Pros: Can buy the clover seed at an affordable price – available in different pack sizes – recurrent, tolerates cold and heat
Cons: Minor complaints that the seed does not grow while others have grown it in draught when taken care off
This helps to train the deer to visit your property often and gives you the best chance you have been waiting for when the time comes to hunt. Therefore, what is the best deer feed you can give them?
Before answering this question, you first need to look at how much deer eat in providing them with the best deer feed.
How Much Do Deer Eat
During the winter season when looking at whitetail deer, they can eat up to 5 pounds every day. The bucks need extra nutrition with their antler growth during spring. You can buy three different types of deer feeders. The free choice feeder gives them a constant flow of the forage and gravity powered.
Then you get the automated Spincast feeder that you can control the amount of food they receive and the extruded nugget feeder is normally the best choice when using the automatic Spincast feeders. Then you have the option of the best deer food that you can plant or use while you are on your hunting trip.
Today we will be looking at different deer food that you can give the wild animals roaming around on your property and those that you can use to attract deer during hunting season.
Deer Feeding Tips Using Feeders
- Place the deer feeder in a central location away from roads for ease of access,
- Make sure to place them nearby water supplies,
- Give them a feeding station for every 30 deer on your property,
- Both the Spincast and Free choice are great options as it makes the eating from it easier for the deer. As previously explained the Free choice works with gravity and needs a steady flow while the Spincast you can control the feeding,
- Some other effective methods are metal and handmade wood feeders,
If you are planning to buy a feeder, the best feeders will protect the food against the weather and non-target species. If you use the best, deer feed blocks you can place them directly on the ground. By using supplemental deer, feeding will help improve the deer’s survival rate, especially amongst fawn and they will not suffer from inadequate nutrition.
Inadequate nutrition causes the deer to lose weight and you have poor conception rates. This also helps increase a buck’s energy requirement by up to 22% and with the right minerals and nutrients, it helps with antler growth in the beginning of February.
The Seasonal Feeding Guide
With every season, you face new challenges when it comes to feeding deer. You can buy different feeds formulated to boost the deer’s nutrients to thrive during periods that limit their forage. During the fall deer breed, the weather conditions start fluctuating and breeding demands high energy levels.
By having, the best food for deer available for bucks help to keep their nutrition levels up. During the winter season, the deer come out of their mating season and as you know, natural forage is scarce. With the right supplement, it helps with their protein intake, making them healthier during winter to spring.
Spring brings an increase of forage and the antlers prime growing month and critical for lactating fawn. Here having supplement feeds as important as it helps the deer with more milk provision for the fawns. With forage available, the deer can withstand the heat and drought through the summer months.
Having a Food Plot
Another, great way of keeping the deer healthy during the year is by having your own food plot and plays an important part to get their nutrition intake. A deer can consume up to 40% of their nutrition from the best deer feed available in food plots.
This is a responsible investment to have in your herd or wildlife protection and always remember to select the right plants to grow in your surrounding habitat and depends on the seasons.
Different Food Plot Nutrition
- During spring plant, warm annual blends such as soybean, cowpeas, sorghum and recurring blends such as alfalfa, chicory, and clover.
- During the early summer months, you can give cowpeas, sunflowers, chicory, lablab, and recurrent clover.
- When late summer and early fall arrives, give them soybeans and acorns and one of their favorite foods.
- Throughout fall and winter oats, wheat, triticale is great cereal grains to give the deer and to attract them during the cool season clover, winter peas, and alfalfa gives them the right nutrition they need.
- As the late winter makes way for early spring choose Brassica for their nutrition, as other food sources are not on the menu.
Other options are choosing a tree stand and you must remember that they need to be:
Mobile and the lighter the tree stand the more portable it is to move around covering the area you want to hunt,
- The tree stand needs to be adaptable without the fuss of setting up – you do not want it to make a noise and chase the deer away,
- It must be safe as this could affect your shot and needs to be stable and comfortable,
If you want to bring more deer to your property, using the different techniques presented will help you achieve that. With the best food for deer, growing in your feed plot or using the right deer feed block you will attract more than just deer.
Choosing the right seed mix or seed for your food plot is one of the best places to start and only looking at the pretty bags does not help. Look for food with high minerals and different nutrients to take care of your deer roaming around. For the Bowhunter keep the food plots small and for the man with the gun, this is not much of a concern. Grow clover and soybeans as they are packed with nutrition. Enjoy growing your food plots and happy hunting!