A food plot is an area that has been planted with the sole purpose of feeding wildlife. The best food plots are those growing legumes, trees, shrubs, and grasses.
The most ideal of food plots are those that have an irregular shape, not near roadways, and average two to four acres in overall size.
Top 6 Best Food Plot Seed Reviews
Antler King has hit the jackpot with there no sweat no till mix. It will have you providing energy during fall and winter months then switching it up to provide spring and summer with filler free protein.
Formulated to succeed in shady areas, near logging roads, or off the beaten path your equipment would laugh about trying to fit for use.
The deer will love this seed mix as much as you because it grows fast, is shade tolerant, and some of the deer’s favorite snacks. Best of all you have no back breaking ground to work.
- Both shade and pH tolerant
- Excellent mix with minimal effort or time
- Package Size: 4.5 pounds of plants per 1/4 acre
- Ideal mix of perennials and annuals that deer love.
- Easy to establish, no tilling needed, fast growing.
- Contains mix of clover, rye, oats and brassica.
If you have been in search of food plot seeds that only requires minimal work or effort that will come back for two to three years this unique no till mix is a must have for your plot.
Forrage Brassicas that are known for being extraordinarily nutritious and palatable can be found in the Evolved Habitats Harvest ShotPlot.
This mix is known for producing well in the poorest of possible conditions as well as having s fast regrowth rate once they begin to be snacked upon..
- Package Size: 2.5 pounds
- ShotPlot is the perfect annual food plot to attract your deer
- Forage Brassicas are the most palatable and nutritious in the world
- Plants surge with new growth to replace the consumed leaves
- Creates a food plot quickly by growing over 24 inches tall in 45 days
A bit of planning ahead is a necessity when it comes to the BioLogic Guide’s Choice Feeder as it takes roughly 80 days prior to frost sets to mature, develop, and be its best.
This seed mix requires prepared ground and a bit of knowledge to ensure planted properly, however, the tasks are easily obtainable on their website.
- Extremely Attractive
- Beneficial to waterfowl
- Encourages important invertebrate activity
- Highly durable in water environments
- Waterfowl feeder blend
- Package Size: 20 pounds
- Designed to be planted in dry soil
- Plants provide feeding opportunities for waterfowl
- Designed for flooding during hunting season
- Ingredients and ratios have been scientifically selected
- Selected for its ability to perform in a variety of conditions
If you are the type that likes to have a project to experience from start to end beginning in as early as June then this mix is right up your alley.
The outcome of all your work will be easily noticed by family, friends, or buddies that hit the plot during season with you.
One way to make certain the wild ducks, turkeys, geese and such arrive and stick around it to treat them like feathered royalty.
They will eat better than you do some days with this showbird grade feed lot about the plot.
- Crumble formula
- For starting and growing birds
- Package Size: 5 pounds
- 24 % protein with essential amino acids
- Good for: gamebirds, turkeys, ducks, geese and broilers
- Promotes: fast growth, efficient gain, and high-quality plumage
- Yeast culture for improved digestion and feed utilization
- Vitamins and minerals for sound development and health
Read the packaging instructions somewhat carefully has been an overall most mentioned tip.
Feed them and they will come. Feed them Wildthings swan and duck food in your food plot and they will return over and over again.
The feathered lot will feel as if they have struck gold or perhaps it was winning the lottery.
- Small, Dry Nutritious Nuggets
- Floats So Remains Accessible For Longer
- Remaining Accessible For Longer
- Far More Nutritious Than Bread
- Suitable for Swans and Ducks
- Package Size: 1.5 Kg
Favorite of the swan, duck, pheasant and many other of your feathery and ground friends.
This is a quality white millet seed. The wild birds are staying satisfied with this mixed in with shelled sunflower meats and nyjer seed.
It attracts chickadees, pine siskins, house and lesser goldfinches. Add to this white millet seed, sunflower seed meats, cracked corn, a bit of safflower seeds and whole black oil sunflower seeds..
- Type: White Mullet
- Package Size: 50 pound
- A hit with your “feathered friends”
- Not for Human consumption
- 100% Natural Seed grown in the USA
- Can be mixed with other seeds for custom formulas
- A wide variety of birds attracted with this top rated seed
- Can use this seed alone in your feeders or mix with other favorite seeds.
These additional seeds attract jays, towhees, doves (on the ground) and many others
Multi Seed Plots
Those plots that consist of several types of seeds, especially high quality seeds, have a much lower failure rate. Why? The following list are examples of why several seed types work better.
- Different soil tolerances
- Variances in heat resistance
- Different drought levels
- Issues with different pests
- Types of disease issues vary
- Farming practices are not the same
- Risk ratios are very different
The best food plots are those that blend seed types rather than those that are mono (single seed planted plots). Mono plots generally have a high fail rates. Why? If a mono plot has an issue arise it has arisen on the entire option available.
Agricultural Grade -VS- Forage Grade
Blends that consist of forage grade seeds means that they, when planted, are specifically designed for the deer to consume. Those seeds that say agricultural grade and designed primarily for livestock to consume. Agricultural grade seeds often include those on the following list.
As one will find in any business venture, location can make or break success. The same applies to obtaining your product base from one vendor. Some locations are just not meant to be an active location. At the same time a perfect location could be right next door and you fail to notice it. All these also apply directly to food plots.
If you handle the mowing and plot maintenance with machinary be certain that you are taking the equipment into the plot area clean. Why? When you fail to clean out other location clippings you risk contaminating the plot with the problems that one might have at the alternate site, even problems that may yet be unknown or not an issue for the other location to be concerned.
Whitetails are very much like children when it comes to eating. They are selective. One day that might want only one food type and then the following week they will not want anything to do with that item. To avoid them leaving your food plot be sure to have change covered. One might have sections of the following examples available to ensure that plot is hot in one variety or another. This listing of potential best food plot seeds, of course, are just examples.
- Cereal grains
Food Plot Tips
To have the best food plots it takes more than just have the best food plot seed. The following tips are ways in which one can begin to have one of the best food plots around.
- Hunting plots want those “candy crops.” You know the ones that the game can’t resist. Make certain that the crops planted will hit peak by the time of the hunt.
- Generally, low cost food plot seeds produce low end product.
- Low end product will also cause low plot performance.
- Seeds are a living thing and need handle as such to survive and flourish.
- Small seedlings like brassica, chicory, or clover only contain small amounts of energy. Moisture is required to get them to release their energy. If planted deeper than ¼ of an inch the seedling will run out of energy before it can reach the surface.
- Obviously, the larger seeds, such as corn, beans or peas, are just the opposite. They are known to contain more energy. More energy means that they can and should, be buried deeper.