These days’ lighter backpacks are a thing, not just because they are lighter which ultimately makes them comfortable to carry along during hiking trips, mountain treks and other backcountry trips but also because you’ll enjoy hiking more if you are less stressed out.
Thanks to the innovation thrown in to making backpacks lightweight, every outdoor lover has the opportunity to keep weight down while taking on their favorite activity.
We’ll be taking a keen look at the best lightweight hiking backpacks which satisfies all requirements every backpacker would love to see in any list of best lightweight hiking backpack.
The Top 3 Best Lightweight Hiking Backpacks
These are our top picks for lightweight hiking backpacks in the market today.
This lightweight backpack tops the list of the best lightweight hiking backpack for several reasons, including the fact that it has won the number 1 lightweight backpack for both males and females several times.
The backpack has its unique look and is made of a high quality nylon which is tear and resistant.
The zippers of the backpack are made of metal and are abrasion resistant. The backpack has 3 zippered compartments which include – a smaller outer pocket in front of the backpack, the main zippered pocket which the bulky hiking materials are placed in, and an inner zippered pocket.
There are also 2 large pockets (side mesh) for placing water bottles or soda. The backpack is roomy (can hold up to 20 liter) and weighs just 6.5 oz when empty.
The best part is this petite backpack is really portable, and foldable. You can have it folded into small book-sized shape and place in your pocket or handbag while heading out.
- Lightweight hiking bag from a reputable company
- Best seller on the Amazon platform and rated number one in the lightweight hiking backpacks
- Made of strong nylon material which is both water resistant and tear resistant
- Abrasion resistant zippers ensures zips don’t wear out easily
- Pretty cheap hiking backpack
- Roomy, yet portable backpack which can be folded to a small book sized element when not in use.
- Comes in a wide range of colors, so you are not left out of your favorite color
- Manufactured by a reputable outfitting company which has been in the market for over 30 years.
- Don’t over stuff the bag with heavy contents or risk having shoulder pads coming off.
The Nature Hike multipurpose outdoor backpack is yet another impressive lightweight hiking backpack on the list.
This hiker’s special backpack weighs about 10.6 ounces which is remarkably lightweight and would eliminate the pains of carrying a bulky backpack around.
The straps which include shoulder straps and a waist straps are extremely comfortable. This hiking backpack is made of a durable nylon material which is waterproof to keep items stored in the backpack from getting spoilt by water – thus it makes for a good backpack for uncertain weather.
The backpack has two main zippered pockets – a slashed main pocket with abrasion resistant zipper and a smaller pocket which can be used to store small gadgets and gears like mobile phones, cables et al.
- The Nature Hike backpack is a multipurpose hiking backpack and is suitable for almost all outdoor activities from camping, to cycling etc.
- The backpack has a unique helmet net added which could come in handy for cyclers.
- It’s very lightweight at just 10.6 ounces; you can comfortably carry your backpack around without getting worn out.
- Waterproofed to keep your gadgets and gears safe.
- While this backpack does remarkably well for day hiking, it’s not large enough to have trekking poles placed in.
This outlander hiking backpack is one compact gear you don’t want to miss owning.
With several compartments to ensure you don’t run out of carrying space for your hiking trip, you are sure to find the roomy main compartment (which can carry up to 33 liters of items) very handy.
The backpack is also very lightweight at about 8 ounces and best of all; it can be comfortably stored in its own pocket by folding it into the zippered inner section for easy carry around.
- The backpack is very lightweight and portable and it’s compact nature gives it an edge over several other backpacks in its category.
- The durability of the Outlander hiking backpack is unquestionable as it’s made from tough nylon material which is both water and tears resistant. Thus ensures a long-lasting performance with little maintenance.
- The backpack has its stress points held strong with bar tacking which helps it maintains longer lifespan.
- There are several compartments to ensure all your hiking gears fit and none is left behind.
- The zippers are abrasion resistant SBS metal zippers which go 2-way and very durable.
- Did I mention that it’s sturdily built? Well it is, all seams are sewn in place.
- Colors are abundant, go with your preferred color not a universal color.
- There is really not much to dislike about the outlander, expect the fact that it might not be the biggest lightweight backpack you would find.
What is the best lightweight hiking backpack?
A backpack would be regarded as the best or one of – if it satisfies the following conditions.
- Cost: One of the most important factors to consider when buying any backpack is the price. It shouldn’t be too steep to break your bank but still good enough to last you several years with proper maintenance.
- Weight: The weight of any backpack would determine just how far off you should go hiking; this is because your backpack alongside your sleeping pad, bag and shelter (hammock or tent) would make up the heaviest loads you’ll take with you on your trip. That’s why a lightweight backpack which can accommodate all your carryons is best.
Other factors which spell out the overall performance of a lightweight backpack are: its frame which should be considerably lower, the material type (nylon or cuben fiber. The later is lighter), and the fit.
These backpacks are the best in their class. There’s the compact, multipurpose, colorful lightweight hiking backpack all in here, and all well sturdily built. If you are looking lightweight hiking backpack reviews, this should be a good pointer in getting the best lightweight hiking backpack for your next outdoor trip.